Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
November 15, 2008 10:26
Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)
Message ID:
c9ab31fc0811151026g5b0b7e75g724bc14bff905d6e@mail.gmail.com
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM, demerphq <demerphq@gmail.com> wrote:

> Git is the TMTOWDTI of version control systems. The reason there are a
> lot of handwaving in the answers you get is because there is no
> "right" answer to your questions.

I understand that, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.  It's a lot
like trying to get a recipe from a master chef when you are hungry:
you get theory and esoteric variations when what you need is a
straightforward how-to.  Sure, git is intellectually interesting, and
people can follow that interest as far as they want.  I hope to have
time to get a bit further down that road myself.  But unless we want
p5p to become a graduate seminar in git, the answer to "What do I do?"
should be what to do, not a lecture on how to think about version
control or embark on a journey of enlightenment in The Git Way. Our
cookbook needs to be "Meals in a Minute," not Julia Childs' "The Way
to Cook."

> Frankly if you havent used git before it will take some unlearning,
> but eventually it will become clear.

I may have less unlearning than you think because that assumes I
already know something :-).  But let's not worry about me, let's worry
about the hypothetical person who has figured out how to use perlbug
and has ended up here, patch in hand, wondering what the heck "blead"
is and how to get it and submit changes to it.  If, in explaining what
to do, we use phrases like, "eventually it will become clear," I think
we will lose them and their work instantly.  IMO, without a good,
Perl-specific cheat sheet, we are somewhat ill-prepared for the git
transition.  I will do what I can to help, but I'm short on both tuits
and expertise to write such a document.

>> Only at the end of this process does the question of how to push to
>> the official repository become relevant.
>
> Well not really. Pushing to the official repository will be much the
> same as pushing, and fetching from your own clones.

Maybe conceptually they are the same, but as the ssh discussion in the
other fork of this thread makes clear, the syntax is quite a bit
different.  You can understand the concepts and still not know what
commands to type.

> Unfortunately until you have been using git for a while its a bit hard
> to explain some of this stuff. Mostly because it is actually much
> simpler than it sounds or is in other VC's.

Maybe I will eventually become one of those people who can visualize
in full color all of the sinuously intertwining directed acyclic
graphs harmoniously dancing in and through my local and remote
repositories and the repositories of others.  Maybe not.  But no one
should have to know anything about how git works internally in order
to track a couple of branches of Perl and submit their changes back.
If they do, that's a fail.