Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
November 15, 2008 02:43
Re: git workflow (was Re: git?)
Message ID:
b77c1dce0811150243w4da42813m219cd58fabedd414@mail.gmail.com
2008/11/14 David Golden <xdaveg@gmail.com>:
> (2) pumpkings publish to the "master" perl repository
>
> pro: single definitive master repo for everyone to track
> con: pumpkings all need commit access (generally via ssh)

Given the "polylithic" nature of the perl sources -- core, Configure,
utilities, dual-lived modules -- we do have, effectively, many
pumpkings. So an authoritative shared repository (on perl5.git.perl.org)
where all committers push to the same master branch is the way to go.

The problem is a bit different for the maint branches: nothing stops
a maint pumpking to publish his own repository if he wants to.

> I think the basic workflow might go something like this:
>
> (1) contributor clones master perl repository
> (2) contributor hacks
> (3) contributor publishes work
>    (a) sends emails with patches to p5p list ("git send-email")
>    (b) publishes own repository and sends a "pull notice" to p5p list
> (4) pumpking applies patches
>    (a) from email ("git apply")
>    (b) from contributor's repository ("git remote add ..."; git pull
> remoterepo")

(4) is of course, applying to the pumpking's repository, not the shared
one.

I have a strong preference for 3b/4b, because it's easier, but of course
we don't want to force people to publish their own repositories.
git send-email is a good tool too.

> (5) pumpking publishes updated "master" ("git push")

That is, push to perl5.git.perl.org.

I've written a few articles to explain the basics of remotes, branches,
pushing and pulling. Here's the URL again :

    http://consttype.blogspot.com/search/label/git

--
'Do you know what they called a sausage-in-a-bun in Quirm?' said Mr Pin,
as the two walked away. --- 'No?' said Mr Tulip. --- 'They called it "le