Re: char16 datatype

From:
demerphq
Date:
November 14, 2008 03:03
Re: char16 datatype
Message ID:
9b18b3110811140303of82bc08yd7e9292682ccc935@mail.gmail.com
2008/11/14 Dr.Ruud <rvtol+news@isolution.nl>:
> demerphq schreef:
>
>> Ultimately UTF-8 was a kludge,
>> developed practically overnight to ensure that there would be a
>> unicode representation that was unix legacy compatible, with the long
>> term intention of replacing it with something better.
>
> I would never put phrases like "kludge" and "intention to replace" on
> UTF-8. Even if those were at the start (and I actually doubt they ever
> were), that is all irrelevant now, because the kid has a life of its
> own.

See:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/utf-8-history.txt

"UCS provides the capability to encode multi-lingual text within a
single coded character set.  However, UCS and its UTF variant do not
protect null bytes and/or the ASCII slash ("/") making these character
encodings incompatible with existing Unix implementations.  The
following proposal provides a Unix compatible transformation format of
UCS such that Unix systems can support multi-lingual text in a single
encoding.  This transformation format encoding is intended to be used
as a file code.  This transformation format encoding of UCS is
intended as an intermediate step towards full UCS support.  However,
since nearly all Unix implementations face the same obstacles in
supporting UCS, this proposal is intended to provide a common and
compatible encoding during this transition stage."

Note the "transition stage" comment.

Cheers,
yves