Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400

From:
Chip Salzenberg
Date:
November 12, 2008 18:19
Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400
Message ID:
20081113021857.GJ2062@tytlal.topaz.cx
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 06:43:25PM -0700, Tom Christiansen wrote:
> Glenn Linderman <perl@NevCal.com> wrote:
> | The [below] items could be added to the language immediately, during the
> | deprecation cycle for \nnn octal notation [...]
>
> I find the notion of rendering illegal the existing octal syntax of "\33"
> is an *EXTRAĂ–RDINARILY* bad idea, a position I am prepared to defend at
> laborious length--and, if necessary, appeal to the Decider-in-Chief [...]

I am happy to mark my return to p5p by singing in harmony with Tom C.

Perl's octal escapes are of venerable origin, coming as they do from C --
not the newfangled ANSI and ISO dialects, let alone Bjarne's heresy, but the
earliest and purest syntax, which sprang fully-formed from Ken's, Brian's
and Dennis's foreheads.  Breaking octal escapes would piss off lots of
people, and break lots of code, for no sufficiently valuable purpose.
--
Chip Salzenberg <chip@pobox.com>