Re: 5.8.9 RC1

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
November 11, 2008 05:51
Re: 5.8.9 RC1
Message ID:
20081111132503.GP49335@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:15:52PM -0600, Dave Rolsky wrote:
> >Currently it's at
> >
> >   http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-5.8.9-RC1.tar.bz2
> >
> >Please don't publicise that URL outside p5p  - instead
> >
> > ftp://ftp.cpan.org/pub/CPAN/authors/id/N/NW/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.9-RC1.tar.bz2
> >
> >once it's had time to propagate to CPAN's mirrors.
>
> I found a small typo in perl589delta:
>
>  A new entry has been added to the MAGIC vtable - svt_local. This is used
>  when copying magic to the new value during local. This allows problems
>  with localising shared variables.
>
> I'm not sure what that last sentence should be, but I'm pretty sure it's
> wrong ;)

Yes, I'd agree that it's wrong. :-)
I suspect needs "to be fixed" added.

> Also, I think the paragraph about this being the last 5.8.x release should
> be _way_ higher up in the document. I'd say stick it right under
> DESCRIPTION. Right now it's buried under Known Bugs where a lot of folks
> might miss it.

Yes, it probably should be somewhere nearer the top, possibly in a =head1
all of its own. It's just that it got written as a side effect of reading
the paragraph above, and it seemed to flow nicely from it. Also, I wasn't
in a position (then) to mention anything about:

  http://news.perlfoundation.org/2008/11/tpf_announces_grant_to_david_m.html

and didn't know for sure when it would be announced.

Nicholas Clark