RE: 5.8.9 RC1

From:
Konovalov, Vadim ** CTR **
Date:
November 11, 2008 05:38
RE: 5.8.9 RC1
Message ID:
D16F05D0CAAA234BA2B753B80DE6100DC6964D@DEEXC1U02.de.lucent.com
> > > From: Nicholas Clark [mailto:nick@flirble.org]
>
> > > Does the released 5.8.8 fail in the same way?
> >
> > Sorry, with perl-5.8.8 I'm lost.
> >
> > ./Configure -des
> > Now you must run 'make'.
> >
> > If you compile perl5 on a different machine or from a
> different object
> > directory, copy the Policy.sh file from this object directory to the
> > new one before you run Configure -- this will help you with most of
> > the policy defaults.
> >
> > coli perl-5.8.8 # make
> > make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by
> > `miniperlmain.o'.  Stop.
>
> Just hand-edit the 'makefile' (and 'x2p/makefile') to delete
> the lines
> containing '<command-line>' and '<builtin>'  (which might be
> '<built-in>',
> I don't exactly recall).  They are output by "newer" versions
> of gcc and
> not recognized by 5.8.8's build system.  They are harmless.
> Just delete
> them and you can continue with the test.

Thanks, that works

Also got error about missing <asm/page.h> because gentoo's linux-headers
package do not contain it - but this is known thing:
SysV.xs:7:25: error: asm/page.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [SysV.o] Error 1

Returning to slightly misleading comment on "lib/Net/hostent.t" -
Yes, behaviour on 5.8.8 is exactly the same as in 5.8.9-RC1:

w/o "localhost" entry on /etc/hosts

coli perl-5.8.8 # ./perl lib/Net/hostent.t
1..7
ok 1 - use Net::hostent;
not ok 2 - gethost('localhost')
#   Failed test 'gethost('localhost')'
#   in lib/Net/hostent.t at line 36.
# Can't continue without working gethost:
# Looks like you planned 7 tests but only ran 2.
# Looks like you failed 1 test of 2 run.

w/ "localhost" entry on /etc/hosts

coli perl-5.8.8 # ./perl lib/Net/hostent.t
1..7
ok 1 - use Net::hostent;
ok 2 - gethost('localhost')
ok 3 - addr from gethost