Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400

From:
karl williamson
Date:
November 3, 2008 19:06
Re: PATCH [perl #59342] chr(0400) =~ /\400/ fails for >= 400
Message ID:
490FBBCD.6040001@khwilliamson.com
Abigail wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 07:23:29PM -0600, Tom Christiansen wrote:
>> Dear Glenn and Karl,
>>
>>   +=============================+
>>   | SUMMARY of Exposition Below |
>>   v-----------------------------v
>>
>>   *  I fully agree there's a bug.
>>
>>   *  I believe Karl has produced a reasonable patch to fix it.
>>
>>   *  I wonder what *else* might/should also change in tandem
>>      with this estimable amendment so as to:
>>
>>      ?  avoid evoking or astonishing any hobgoblins of
>>         foolish inconsistency (ie: breaking bad expectations)
>>
>>      ?  what (if any?) backwards-compat story might need
>>         spinning (ie, breaking code, albeit cum credible Apologia)
>

> I am seldomly in favour of new warnings for existing code, but perhaps
> use of \NNN, with NNN > 377 in a regexp should trigger a warning, as
> its behaviour is surprising - not to mention some code out there may
> rely on the current (buggy) behaviour.
>

> Abigail

So what's the answer?  I don't think it should be an error for >=400.

I think a warning would be ok, and I know enough to put such a warning
into regcomp.c.  And at compile time, one could handle >8-bit machines
by testing sizeof(char).  But what to do besides warn?  Assume they
meant unicode, as character classes do now, my patch would do?  And I
don't know the rest of the code.  The only other place that grok_oct()
is called is from the oct() function.  My limited knowledge of how perl
works suggests that a call to this is put on the stack when evaluating a
double-quotish constant.  I don't know enough about the code at this
time to know how to add a warning to that.

I think we're all agreed that there is a bug.  And that there should be
consistency of handling, unlike now.  I await your responses.