develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2008

Re: maintperl-5.8.x's IPC::SysV fails tests on Mandriva

From:
Bram
Date:
September 3, 2008 06:26
Re: maintperl-5.8.x's IPC::SysV fails tests on Mandriva
Message ID:
20080903152531.5tpmqwny80c4kc04@horde.wizbit.be
Citeren Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org>:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 03:47:58PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
>
>> After rsync'ing once with --delete-after, "cp-a"ing to a new directory and
>> running "Configure.sh ; make ; make test" - make test is now successful.
>>
>> So the problem were some leftover files on my system that existed
>> in previous
>> versions of perl, but not in the current one.
>
> Cool. Thanks for checking this, and reporting back.
>
>> The FAQ:
>>
>> http://dev.perl.org/perl5/docs/p5p-faq.html
>>
>> Says to run:
>>
>> {{{{{
>> rsync -auvz rsync://ftp.linux.activestate.com/perl-current/ bleadperl/
>> }}}}}
>>
>> Perhaps it should be updated to mention --delete-after.
>
> I'm loathe to do that as the default suggestion, because if you screw up
> rsync with delete you can delete a lot of stuff.
>
> But I think it would be good to suggest something like "once you get your
> paths set up and working, add --dry-run --delete-after, check that it's not
> about to delete large chunks of your home directory, and then remove the
> --dry-run"

http://dev.perl.org/perl5/source.html

Perhaps the faq should link to it?
(Or the text for the faq can be copied from that page)

Kind regards,

Bram