develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from September 2008

Re: maintperl-5.8.x's IPC::SysV fails tests on Mandriva

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
September 3, 2008 05:56
Re: maintperl-5.8.x's IPC::SysV fails tests on Mandriva
Message ID:
20080903125608.GR75181@plum.flirble.org
On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 03:47:58PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> After rsync'ing once with --delete-after, "cp-a"ing to a new directory and
> running "Configure.sh ; make ; make test" - make test is now successful.
>
> So the problem were some leftover files on my system that existed in previous
> versions of perl, but not in the current one.

Cool. Thanks for checking this, and reporting back.

> The FAQ:
>
> http://dev.perl.org/perl5/docs/p5p-faq.html
>
> Says to run:
>
> {{{{{
> rsync -auvz rsync://ftp.linux.activestate.com/perl-current/ bleadperl/
> }}}}}
>
> Perhaps it should be updated to mention --delete-after.

I'm loathe to do that as the default suggestion, because if you screw up
rsync with delete you can delete a lot of stuff.

But I think it would be good to suggest something like "once you get your
paths set up and working, add --dry-run --delete-after, check that it's not
about to delete large chunks of your home directory, and then remove the
--dry-run"

Nicholas Clark