Re: FYI - Blead changes to ExtUtils::CBuilder

From:
Ken Williams
Date:
Re: FYI - Blead changes to ExtUtils::CBuilder
Message ID:
6a7ee8cc0808311853r29244b8uf73e2fc9a3b46f2c@mail.gmail.com
On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> wrote:
> cygwin has a good ld setting now (gcc or g++).
> Before it was ld2, a helper script. Which was stupid. Which you overwrote
> with gcc. But we want also g++ support for special C++ XS code. That's why
> we don't want to touch ld.

I see.  In that case, I'd rather not perform the ld=cc step at all in
the parent; it's confusing when two wrongs make a right.  Proposed
patch attached.

> Why cc?
> Because SUPER is Unix.pm, which has a special treatment for ld, which is also stupid. So
> we revert it. We should trust the config.sh and don't try to be smarter. If a ld setting is
> wrong, fix Configure, not CBuilder.

However, note that $Config{cc} and $Config{ld} don't pretend to be
general-purpose compiler & linker commands; they're specifically for
compiling & linking code for perl modules.  So I'm not sure it would
be correct to "fix Configure".

 -Ken