Re: Re-gaining 'O's

From:
Russ Allbery
Date:
Re: Re-gaining 'O's
Message ID:
87od3hf0yc.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
"H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Since very long we get 'F' or 'X' for things that shouldn't be that hard
> to fix for someone who understands how parse_from_file () deals with
> UTF-8. Let's regain the 'O's so 'F' and 'X' make sense again.
>
> Below also includes a patch that makes all tests pass, but it feels
> wrong.

This is what the --utf8 flag to the latest pod2man does, so the code is
already there.

We can make this the default, but be aware that this will produce man
pages that are unreadable (possibly up to crashing nroff) on systems that
can't handle Unicode characters in *roff source.  The last time I checked,
this includes Solaris.