Re: Re-gaining 'O's

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
Re: Re-gaining 'O's
Message ID:
20080826023605.0ad300ae@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:48:38 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
wrote:

> "H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> > All sounds reasonable, but I still see no easy way out of the failing
> > tests. These smoke tests are there to check if the core modules function
> > as they are expected to behave, not testing portability across systems.
> >
> > If that were the case, most open source test suites should fail before
> > even starting the tests if they rely on libs like libiconv and gettext,
> > as they have proven to be unavailable on many many systems by default
> > (and I don't blame those systems).
> >
> > I applaud your reasoning and think you are right from the module point
> > of view, but in the core test suite, the assumption that we are
> > generating the man pages for other systems that are unlike the build
> > system not supporting Unicode is a wrong assumption.
>
> Then you should pass --utf8 to pod2man when building core documentation if
> you want UTF-8 output.  That's exactly what the option is there for -- so
> that people who know that they want the non-portable output can explicitly
> request it.

We're now running in circles.

I'm not arguing that that is not (or is) the correct solution, but I
want the CORE test suite to PASS for above combination. Currently all
smokes are spitting 'F' for FAIL, where in my explanation it should be
PASS.

Can you make the CORE tests PASS without altering your POV on the
module itself?

--
H.Merijn Brand          Amsterdam Perl Mongers  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x, 5.11.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,