Re: Re-gaining 'O's

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
Re: Re-gaining 'O's
Message ID:
20080825221809.7fead007@pc09.procura.nl
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:39:55 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>
wrote:

> "H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> writes:
>
> > Since very long we get 'F' or 'X' for things that shouldn't be that hard
> > to fix for someone who understands how parse_from_file () deals with
> > UTF-8. Let's regain the 'O's so 'F' and 'X' make sense again.
> >
> > Below also includes a patch that makes all tests pass, but it feels
> > wrong.
>
> This is what the --utf8 flag to the latest pod2man does, so the code is
> already there.
>
> We can make this the default, but be aware that this will produce man
> pages that are unreadable (possibly up to crashing nroff) on systems that
> can't handle Unicode characters in *roff source.  The last time I checked,
> this includes Solaris.

So, if the $LC_ALL and/or $LANG is set to something unicodish and
#PERL_UNICODE is defined, shouldn't that be triggering this flag?

That combination is clearly begging for the flag.

--
H.Merijn Brand          Amsterdam Perl Mongers  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x, 5.11.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,