Term::Complete++

From:
marek
Date:
Term::Complete++
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.64.0808181445430.14960@hacktor.fs.uni-bayreuth.de
Dear p5p,

(this message was supposed to be sent to Wayne Thompson, the original
author of Term::Complete - Wayne, are you listenting here? )

we're using your very nice Term::Complete module here at Infineon.
However, I found a few limitations, that's why I'd like to take it to the
next level:
- make it object-oriented to allow derivative work...
- ...which is path completion
- in context of path completion: allow CTRL-W to back up to the next
delimiter (as specified by File::Spec)
- nicer listing of choices (in columns, and with paging, like in ls and
tcsh/bash, using Term::Size if available)
- better configurability (control keys, messages)
- optional validation of entry
- eventually get rid of the dependency on "stty" as external program
- ...

Because of the OO style, I have some doubts whether it makes sense to
provide the improvements as an update to Term::Complete; that's why I
think I'd go for a new Term::Completion (and Term::Completion::Path).
Nevertheless, I will provide a "compatibility mode", when you do:
         use Term::Completion qw(Complete);
With this, it is a 100% working replacement. However, if I used the
package Term::Complete, then scripts would need to be either updated to
 	use Term::Complete qw(Complete);
or I would have to export the 'Complete' sub by default - what do you
think?

No, I am not considering this to be an attempt to attack Term::ReadLine -
Term::Completion should remain what it is: a simple way to help
interactive entry of one word (perhaps multiple words) from a list of
choices. No history, no full line editing.

My questions to you as the original author/s or maintainer/s: do you mind
if I "steal" the engine code from Term::Complete and give it a facelift,
given that you will of course get the appropriate credits in the POD?
Do you have any comments/suggestions regarding my ideas?
Would you even volunteer to review my code?

Many thanks for your time!

All the best,

Marek