Re: Testing ext/ and lib/ in parallel

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
Re: Testing ext/ and lib/ in parallel
Message ID:
20080813185509.47307de2@pc09.procura.nl
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 08:38:39 -0700, Eric Wilhelm
<scratchcomputing@gmail.com> wrote:

> # from Rafael Garcia-Suarez
> # on Wednesday 13 August 2008 07:55:
>
> >> That is, one job is running and still needs to run several tests
> >> scripts while all others jobs are doing nothing (because the only
> >> tests left to run are the ones in lib/Memoize/).
> >
> >I'd favor putting a file in the t/ directory. This way it can be
> >extracted and maintained separately.
>
> Perhaps even something that prove can load?  The business of relative
> filenames being different than they are in the dist case might require
> some trickery (t/harness loads the file, prepends the path to $dist/t/
> for each rule, then merges all of the dist rules together?)

When AndyA and me were working on this, I created a YML file that
defined what was unsafe to run in parallel. I have no idea how much of
that framework was left intact in Nicholas' work.

Basic idea was that you could indicate which directories were unsafe to
run in parallel with other (possibly explicitly stated which)
directories or modules or test files.

Some modules and files are safe to run in parallel, UNLESS
Module::Build tests are going on.

TAP already uses YML, so creating an extensible configuration file for
TAP would ideally use that format

--
H.Merijn Brand          Amsterdam Perl Mongers  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.10.x, 5.11.x on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00,