Re: Testing ext/ and lib/ in parallel

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
Re: Testing ext/ and lib/ in parallel
Message ID:
b77c1dce0808130525g234ef14fubbb5599426497@mail.gmail.com
2008/8/13 Bram <p5p@perl.wizbit.be>:
> Currently the directories in ext/ and lib/ run in parallel but the test in
> each dir run in sequence. (Thanks to Nicholas of course)
>
> At the moment some tests in ext/ and lib/ are not parallel-safe, but some
> are...
>
> What would be a good way to mark the parallel-safe ones?
> This also to allow chaning the tests one by one instead of all at once which
> might not be possible. (since it would be best to keep everything in sync
> with CPAN (IMHO))
>
> What I've been thinking about:
> - a .parallel file in the directories that are parallel safe
> - adding the list of safe modules in t/harness
> - creating another file that holds the list
> - ...

I'm under the impression that those are suboptimal. We can consider
two levels of parallelism:
* run the list of tests of module A and the list of tests of module B
in parallel: this should be mostly always possible, I suppose?
* run in parallel all tests of module A: this should be enabled (or
disabled) on a per-module basis, since some test suites require to be
run sequentially.