Re: fixing the silently failing implicit-close bug (was magic crud)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
Re: fixing the silently failing implicit-close bug (was magic crud)
Message ID:
20080809214542.GZ40282@plum.flirble.org
On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 07:53:34AM +0000, Ed Avis wrote:
> Tom Christiansen <tchrist <at> perl.com> writes:

> >As for arbitrary filenames, you're forgetting some history again. Notice
> >why there's no aux.sh hints file.  Try creating con.tmp or aux.plx on
> >some systems.
>
> I used to use MS-DOS and I am aware of COM, NUL and other crappy magic filenames
> on that system.  Computer archaeologists may be able to give other examples.
> But I don't think that ought to stop <> being 8-bit clean for filenames today.

Have you tried recently?

http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/hw.zip

$ unzip -l ~/public_html/hw.zip
Archive:  /home/nick/public_html/hw.zip
  Length     Date   Time    Name
 --------    ----   ----    ----
       13  08-03-08 11:01   hw/nul.txt
 --------                   -------
       13                   1 file

Downloaded to a PC running XP. XP can open a file explorer directly on the
zip, but double clicking on nul.txt has no effect. Attempting to drag nul.txt
to the desktop brought up a dialogue to the effect of "do you want to replace
an existing file of 0 bytes with a file of 13 bytes?" Click OK, and the copy
completes.

Except that there is no file on the desktop.

G-reat.

It would seem that the CP/M device files are still alive and well 20 years on.

Are they still present on Vista?

Nicholas Clark