Re: print interpreted as function (was: Re: SURPRISE(?): return()VS other builtin()s)

From:
Abigail
Date:
Re: print interpreted as function (was: Re: SURPRISE(?): return()VS other builtin()s)
Message ID:
20080804111859.GA32389@almanda
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 01:03:50PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
> 2008/8/4 Abigail <abigail@abigail.be>:
> > On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 03:41:01PM -0600, Tom Christiansen wrote:
> >>
> >>     4.  Are you surprised that the [CcD]_print functions elicit
> >>         no "print interpreted as function" warning?
> >

> > No.
> >

> > The "print interpreted as function" is not only the most worthless
> > warning in Perl; it not only generates an awful lot of false positives,
> > it also misses out cases where it should have warn.
> >
> > [ ... Snip ... ]
> >
> > I once submitted a patch for that against the core, but that was rejected.
> > People actually seem to be fond of this beast.
>
> Ok, so let's just try it again.
> But this time via perlbug to the tracker also, so there will be some
> justification of the reject.

There has been a ticket about this warning since 2000. Issue #4346.
Still open. ;-)

> Maybe we can fix the other false warnings also.

Feel free to add to the ticket.

Abigail