Re: Fighting the Good Fight against spam deluge (was: Senatorial(Senescent?) reflective pause)

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
Re: Fighting the Good Fight against spam deluge (was: Senatorial(Senescent?) reflective pause)
Message ID:
20080801093816.GB22085@timac.local
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 04:15:49PM -0600, Tom Christiansen wrote:

> I do have another Perl-spin bug/problem related, but I am pretty sure
> this is some pessimal combo of input data and processing code.  Here's
> an example of it:
>
>       UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ   RSS WCHAN   STAT TT       TIME COMMAND
> 	0  2463  3795   0   2 20 44920 10020 poll   I     ??   14:42.02 perl5.10.0: spamd child (perl5.10.0)
>
> Nearly 15 minutes CPU time to process one message?!
>
> That's SpamAssassin's spamd(1) servicing a spamc(1) client.  I figure
> that somewhere there must be a regex in SpamAssassin that could use
> nonbacktracking, whether (?>...) or possessive quantifiers or perhaps
> the new "backtracking control verbs".
>
> But I don't know where it is, and haven't the patience to track
> it down.  So I just kill those off when they take too long.

My usual first approach is something like

    $SIG{USR2} = \&Carp::cluck; # or \&Carp::confess;

Tim.