develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2008

Re: RF help with a v5.10 Heisenbug, please?

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
Re: RF help with a v5.10 Heisenbug, please?
Message ID:
22235.1217480654@chthon
   of "Wed, 30 Jul 2008 18:19:50 EDT." <653CEFD4210E904494F3E2FB9F6A4797128B113B3F@FLMX07.iccur.com>

>    set path = `echo $path | tr ' ' '\12' | perl -nle 'print if -d and
>    		($dev,$ino) = stat(_) and not $seen{$dev,$ino}++'`

> Any time something doing a stat hangs for me, it is always an NFS
> problem. Does $path have "." in it (or some other relative component),
> possibly the randomness is due to being positioned it different places
> at different times? Certainly strace should be able to show if it is
> just sitting in a stat().

That had been my first thought, too, but the machine this occurs on it was
quite some time ago stripped of any NFS mounts due to these strange hangs.
They still happen, and yet my mount table is local only.

Hold on!  I just realized that that's only true from *this* end.  That is,
while there are no NFS mounts in the wedging proc machine's own mount table
(per mount or /etc/fstab), at least one other machine mounts from it (per
showmount -a)

Hm... so that means there's no change I'm statting something that's
really on a remote machine's FS, but there is a chance that some
remote machine is accessing the directory I'm statting.

Hm...

I just can't figure out why it started happening precisely upon 5.10
installation, and never before.  I suppose that *perhaps* I diddled my
mount tables just around then, too, though, although I don't recall such.
Well, no reason not to specify perl5.8.7 in the pipe and see whether the
problem seems to disappear.  Wish it were a cut-and-dry repro thing.

--tom