develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2008

Re: RF help with a v5.10 Heisenbug, please?

From:
Tom Christiansen
Date:
Re: RF help with a v5.10 Heisenbug, please?
Message ID:
29738.1217480186@chthon
   of "Wed, 30 Jul 2008 21:41:00 BST." <1DFF5E04-DD4D-4F65-9B16-0744950D7359@hexten.net>

>On 30 Jul 2008, at 21:29, Tom Christiansen wrote:

>> I've thought of building a debugging perl and trying to remotely
>> attach to it once it's in spin-mode via gdb (if that's this
>> possible?).

>> Has anybody ever attempted this?

> Did you try strace on it or whatever the local equivalent is?

The local equivalent is ktrace (+kdump to read the output),
and no I haven't.  Thanks for the good idea.  Used to use
that sort of thing quite a bit.

> Attaching with gdb should work find - just gdb perl <pid>.

Oh, good.  If ktrace doesn't enclue me, I'll build a debugging
perl and do that.

--tom