develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2008

Re: Alarums and Excursions

From:
Abigail
Date:
Re: Alarums and Excursions
Message ID:
20080728222827.GL30221@almanda
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 03:01:42PM -0700, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> On approximately 7/28/2008 2:26 PM, came the following characters from
> the keyboard of Sean O'Rourke:
>> Tels <nospam-abuse@bloodgate.com> writes:
>>> So we are back to guesswork. I'd venture that "the vast majority of
>>> Perl programmers" doesn't know that using "<>" without -T is a
>>> security problem.
>>
>> I'm just a single datapoint, but I find this feature useful, and
>> am hoping this whole thing ends up as just an endless mailing
>> list discussion.
>

> Maybe you should describe how it makes your life easier, and how you
> avoid the surprises (not using "funny" file names suffices for personal
> code, of course, but if you release code with this feature to others,
> how do you protect them?).

Please, don't make the assumption all code is intended to be shared.
Most code will never be distributed to run in uncontrolled environments.
Code is not broken because it may have strange effects when run in an
environment it was never intended to run in.

Abigail