develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2008

Re: revive undump / unexec?

From:
Reini Urban
Date:
Re: revive undump / unexec?
Message ID:
488CDEC6.30602@x-ray.at
Tom Christiansen schrieb:
>    of "Sun, 20 Jul 2008 13:05:08 +0200." <48831BE4.2010302@x-ray.at>
>
>> Anyone investigated reviving undump for the platforms where the
>> supporting code already exists: elf and coff on i386, besides a.out
>> and solaris?
>
> Great question.  Pity there's been no answer.

I knew it before :)

> Is the motivation to skip the compilation phase and so ship/distribute in
> effect a precompiled binary that doesn't need a zillion auxiliary packages,
> or did you have something else in mind?

Yes. Since dump() followed by unexec() is rather stupid, it is just a
simple packager of a dumped state, not anything alike compiler.
Similar to a dumped lisp image converted to an exe.

Great would be to dump it from an interactive session or remotely, if
that makes any sense.

>> For example take it from emacs or some scheme packages, or even parrot.
>> These support even more platforms.
>
> Interesting, especially the lattermost.

But easier would be the emacs way, since that almost worked in ancient
times.

>> Tom Christiansen once added unexec from emacs to perl as I read
>> in perl.c.
>
> I've read that, too, but no longer recall having done so.  Maybe it was
> back in the 80s, so please don't blame early-onset Alzheimers--yet. :-(
>
> Nonetheless, considering that I once upon a time, long ago and far away,
> did have actual personal experience across several different arenas with
> this particular sort of thing, I can well believe it of the then-me.
>
> For people who might care to investigate further, I'll point out some
> earlier work on related matters, and then some later stuff.  In poking
> around, I chanced upon a note by a Python-user lamenting that language's
> lack of checkpoint/restart, confirmed by Guido.  So if anybody's looking
> for coolness kudos or checkoff-box bonuses... :-)
>
> Those uninterested in undump and its brethren should hit "q" now.

Thanks for your checkpoint/restart hints. I'll investigate that.
--
Reini Urban
http://phpwiki.org/  http://murbreak.at/