develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from July 2008

Re: [RFC] Dual-lifing test.pl

From:
David Landgren
Date:
Re: [RFC] Dual-lifing test.pl
Message ID:
487E7AAA.4000003@landgren.net
Nicholas Clark a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:31:22AM -0400, Jerry D. Hedden wrote:
>
>> If the functionality in test.pl (that does not currently
>> exist in other module) could be duplicated elsewhere using a
>> Test::Builder-based module, would there be a reason then to
>> maintain test.pl?  Would it be better then to eliminate
>> test.pl entirely?
>
> No, it should stay. It intentionally doesn't use packages internally, and (at
> least) some other constructions. (specifically ++.

I played with this a bit a couple of years ago. What I wanted to do at
the time was to see how far one could push the envelope using an
absolute minimal syntax, such as replacing unless () by negated if, &&
and || by 'and' and 'or' (or at least settling on one or the other),
eschewing statement modifiers, ternaries and so on.

I also wanted to prove that t/base/* and t/cmd/* provided tests for
all constructs seen in test.pl, but after playing around with B::Concise
for a while I realised it was a non-trivial undertaking.

David

> Although a quick skim suggests that some use of -> for method calls has
> slipped in, with File::Spec and Config, in which_perl(), fresh_perl* and
> the isa/can tests)

Oh the decadence.