Re: IPC::Run [was: This Week on perl5-porters - 1-6 June 2008]

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
June 28, 2008 03:14
Re: IPC::Run [was: This Week on perl5-porters - 1-6 June 2008]
Message ID:
20080628101400.GS94237@plum.flirble.org
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 09:01:21AM -0500, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> VMS native file I/O uses a pointer to an RMS structure.
>
> In addition, some VMS I/O, such as ICC services uses 32 bit handles for
> tracking connections.  ICC services map well to the UNIX concept of
> named pipes.
>
> Being able to internally store such file handles in a PERL filehandle
> could simplify adding a lot of functionality to Perl on a platform.
>
> Right now, we would have to keep a table of file descriptors that are
> mapped to the native structures to extend Perl.
>
> Such native I/O allows true Asynchronous I/O capabilities on VMS.

It ought to be possible to write a PerlIO layer to do this, replacing "unix"
or "stdio" at the bottom of the stack. But I've no idea how easy it would be
to do this well.

Nicholas Clark