Re: "This Week on perl5-porters - 7-13 June 2008"

From:
David Landgren
Date:
June 23, 2008 14:38
Re: "This Week on perl5-porters - 7-13 June 2008"
Message ID:
486017E9.4050803@landgren.net
David R. Linn wrote, some time around 23/06/2008 23:03:
>>  In Brief

cc'ing the list, hope you don't mind.

>> I suspect that Panic in regex processing (unknown regstclass 0) (bug
>> #55466) does not concern the porters directly.
>>
>>   http://xrl.us/et7ww
>
> Hmm ...
>
> If you are correct, can you suggest somewhere else I can report a
> panic in the latest stable Perl interpreter when processing an
> apparently valid regular expression?  I'm not trying to be offensive;

None taken.

> I'm just trying to find the right place to report this error and
> perlbug seems to have dropped it into a bug database where no one
> but me (and maybe now you) have reviewed it.  Also, who do you think
> I should tell that the error message accompanying this panic does
> not appear in the Perl v5.10.0 perldiag man page?

Ah, that's a no-no, and you do well to highlight the issue. If you want
to try a first cut at a documentation patch, and send it to the list as
a C<diff -u> patch, there's an excellent chance it will be applied as
is, and or discussed at length and changed beyond recognition... but it
will be acted upon.

> Any informed opinions on these questions will be appreciated.

Oh, well, I should shut up then.

 From what I recall of my summary, the problem was more one of
questionable code in a CPAN module, rather than the core per se.
Therefore, the core should not be held responsible for breaking dubious
constructs, c.f. Math::Pari and Net::SSH::whatever. This is not the same
thing as gratuitously breaking backwards compatibility.

My advice would be to contact the author of Net::IP and yell at them
asking why their code breaks on 5.10, and what needs to be done to the
module to get it to play nicely with blead.

That said, I have >< this much of an idea why Net::IP breaks on 5.10

http://xrl.us/et7qo is perhaps germane to the discussion.

Thanks,
David
--
stubborn tiny lights vs. clustering darkness forever ok?