version.pm question

From:
John Peacock
Date:
June 14, 2008 04:50
Subject:
version.pm question
Message ID:
4853B0D7.7070302@havurah-software.org
I've released version.pm 0.75, which is a packaging and POD only release.  No
code changes whatsoever[1].  So nothing that would apply to v5.10.x - except for
the $VERSION bump and (I hope) improved documentation.

So the question is, what should happen if someone running v5.10.0 tries to
install this (say, because cpan reports that modules as being out of date).
Right now, the Makefile.PL installer silently does nothing (no packages copied
to blib, no files installed) other than running the tests.  The Build.PL
installer complains about requirements not being met, but goes ahead and
installs the pod file anyways (but not the .pm file) into site_perl.

Obviously this is suboptimal, but I was tired and just pushed the release
anyways. :(

So, what I can do is:

a) install the version.pm and version.pod files into the core locations
(overwriting the v5.10.0 files);

b) install those files into site_perl (which does no one any good);

c) die screaming with both installers and ignore the plaintive whining from
people who use the out-of-date check with cpan(plus)...

So obviously, I'm leaning towards option a).  Thoughts?  Concerns?  Large
deposits to my unnumbered Swiss bank account?  Bueller???

John

1) not technically true.  I was sent a patch to use XSLoader (if present)
instead of Dynaloader, which I applied.  But this only has a bearing with the
CPAN release, since the XS code is already loaded within Perl v5.10.0 itself...