Cwd::abs_path behavior with non-existant paths

From:
John E. Malmberg
Date:
June 12, 2008 19:19
Cwd::abs_path behavior with non-existant paths
Message ID:
4851D921.2000800@qsl.net
Before the 5.10 release, we were working on implementing an interface to
realpath() on VMS.

We discovered that the VMS behavior for non-existant paths was different
than on other platforms.

To get a fair sampling, could this test be run on a number of different
platforms to see what the consensus on the proper behavior should be.

perl -mCwd -e "print Cwd::abs_path('foo/non-existant.file')"

perl -mCwd -e "print Cwd::abs_path('/foo/non-existant.file')"

perl -mCwd -e "print Cwd::abs_path('non-existant.file')"

On VMS, this this routine is doing syntax only lookup.  What I am
looking at doing is implementing it so that it actually does a lookup of
the file.

On UNIX, the foo/non-existant.file returns nothing, but the other two
return the same as the input.

The routines on VMS to do a realpath input will only work on existing
files, so I need to know the expected / intended behavior for
non-existent files.

-John
wb8tyw@qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only