Re: TODOs (was Re: summer of code mentor applications starting (and ending) next week)

From:
Joshua ben Jore
Date:
June 9, 2008 15:57
Re: TODOs (was Re: summer of code mentor applications starting (and ending) next week)
Message ID:
dc5c751d0806091557u17a24dcan903485a47266902d@mail.gmail.com
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Paul Johnson <paul@pjcj.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:18:03PM +0000, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>> Richard Foley <Richard.Foley <at> rfi.net> writes:
>>
>> > Is that a good reason to move Devel::Cover into the core?
>>
>> IMO...
>>
>> absolutely.
>
> I very much appreciate the sentiment and reasoning behind this idea, but
> I'd hate to do anything which raised the bar on people wanting to write
> interesting, useful or just plain cool code.  Having to keep
> Devel::Cover running through such changes comes under that heading for
> me.

I cry a little every time the core changes and breaks my code that
depended on stuff. I almost swore off Perl 5's guts last fall due to
it. I was eventually sucked back in. It's still a sad place to be.
Perl 5 guts are hard enough without it changing shape periodically.

Josh