Re: TODOs (was Re: summer of code mentor applications starting(and ending) next week)

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
June 4, 2008 15:42
Re: TODOs (was Re: summer of code mentor applications starting(and ending) next week)
Message ID:
20080604224125.GE20877@pjcj.net
On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:18:03PM +0000, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> Richard Foley <Richard.Foley <at> rfi.net> writes:
> > On Thursday 20 March 2008 00:00:13 Paul Johnson wrote:
> > > I suppose that's the price to be paid for writing code that lives
> > > outside of the core whilst maintaining a rather incestuous relationship
> > > with the core itself.
>
> > Is that a good reason to move Devel::Cover into the core?
>
> IMO...
>
> absolutely.

I very much appreciate the sentiment and reasoning behind this idea, but
I'd hate to do anything which raised the bar on people wanting to write
interesting, useful or just plain cool code.  Having to keep
Devel::Cover running through such changes comes under that heading for
me.

If we had a large corps of core programmers just twiddling their thumbs
or writing Web 2.0 apps whilst waiting for some core hacking to come
along I might think differently but, although I'd be very happy for
someone else to fix up Devel::Cover after core changes, it's pretty much
something that I signed up for when I wrote code that messes with the
core and invited people to use it.

Of course, any help in that area (including bug reports) is extremely
welcome but otherwise please bear with me as I collect together
sufficient tuits of appropriate shape to deal with the inevitable
breakage caused by progression.

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net