develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2008

Re: [perl #53244] perl-5.10.0-33733 assertion with JSON::XS-2.2

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 9, 2008 15:04
Re: [perl #53244] perl-5.10.0-33733 assertion with JSON::XS-2.2
Message ID:
20080509220444.GS6780@plum.flirble.org
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 01:52:17AM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 02:58:37PM +0100, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> > I'm not quite sure why you consider a module that was released *after* 5.10.0
> > that has a test failure to be a bug in 5.10.0, given that the version
> > of the module at the time of the release passed.
>
> Because the module works fine with 5.10.0, so it is a regression?

It's not a regression. The same code was present in 5.10.0 release (and in
fact my test was done with a fresh build of 5.10.0 downloaded from CPAN.

The assertions are only enabled if perl is built with the C pre-processor
macro DEBUGGING defined, which in turn is enabled automatically by Configure
if $optimize contains -g. (None of that has changed for years)

What did change was that I added quite a few assertions in various macros
catch code that uses the macros when they're not valid. It's never been
enforced before, but because I was making quite a few changes to the SV
layout (to save lots of memory), I wanted to be sure that code wasn't doing
things that were going to break once 5.10 came out. The changes are annotated
here:

http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse?filename=sv.h&show_blame=Show+Annotated+File

Specific changes to SvCUR() were made with changes 27328 and 29219, which
date from Feburary 2006 and November 2006 respectively. So they've been
present for a long time, and were useful as part of Andreas' smoking of
CPAN modules with blead in the years leading up to 5.10.0

Nicholas Clark