develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2008

Re: bug or not? constants warn only once

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
May 6, 2008 13:46
Re: bug or not? constants warn only once
Message ID:
20080506204613.GN10938@iabyn.com
On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:39:46PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 12:13:29PM -0500, David Nicol wrote:
> > On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Aristotle Pagaltzis <pagaltzis@gmx.de> wrote:
> > >  the regex engine was almost twice as fast before the bookkeeping
> > >  was added to detect exponential-time blowups of bad patterns.)
> >
> > how about an /f for fast regex modifier that will leave the bookkeeping out?

[ snipped sensible stuff about not having a /f ]

More to the point, I'm surprised by the figure of 2 x slowdown. If this the
case, then it needs fixing (there's no good reason for such a big hit)

Aristotle, do you have particular evidence of this slowdown?

--
Lear: Dost thou call me fool, boy?
Fool: All thy other titles thou hast given away; that thou wast born with.