develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from May 2008

Re: [perl #53504] Bug in if(open(my $fh,...)) { } scoping

From:
Aristotle Pagaltzis
Date:
May 1, 2008 03:15
Re: [perl #53504] Bug in if(open(my $fh,...)) { } scoping
Message ID:
20080501101455.GX19658@klangraum.plasmasturm.org
* Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org> [2008-04-30 16:15]:
> If we'd have had given/when back then I suspect the scoping
> would have been implemented differently.

Well yeah – one of the many things Perl 6 canonicalises is that
there are no edge cases in scoping. A variable declared within a
pair of curlies is local to it, and a variable declared outside
is not, and no constructs leak scopes across blocks somehow.

Regards,