Re: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x

From:
Dave Mitchell
Date:
April 28, 2008 13:44
Re: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x
Message ID:
20080428204443.GP10938@iabyn.com
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 04:51:42PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 04:47:18PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > Well, for a recent consulting gig, the customer wanted me to parse XML
> > files using 5.005 and no external modules....
>
> But had they found a bug in 5.005_$version, what would they have done?
>
>   Hoped for 5.005_05, and installed that?
>   Wanted just a patch for 5.005_$version that just fixed that bug?
>   Wanted to work round it - "there's no way we're upgrading that"?

For this particular customer (a bank), I got the impression (although they
never said it explicitly) that they were using whatever came bundled as
part of Solaris, and there was nothing on heaven or earth that would have
made them upgrade Solaris or install any new software on the server.

I would have had to just work around it (rewrite the XML parser using
/bin/sh, probably ;-)

--
Britain, Britain, Britain! Discovered by Sir Henry Britain in
sixteen-oh-ten. Sold to Germany a year later for a pfennig and the promise