Re: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x

From:
Gabor Szabo
Date:
April 28, 2008 13:12
Re: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x
Message ID:
d8a74af10804281312u71039b77ie07166f05bbe2914@mail.gmail.com
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Jesse Vincent <jesse@fsck.com> wrote:

> > > Site configuration information for perl v5.6.2:
> > >

> > 5.6.0 came out over 8 years ago.
> >
> > a: What's our policy on attempting to support it?
> > b: What's the diplomatic answer to the bug report as a result of that?
> >

>  Would any list member who is still using Perl 5.6 in production please
> speak up?

I have two clients where they are still using 5.6.x and one that still uses
4.x in some places.... I don't think either of those would report a bug in
their version of perl. They are ok with whatever they have and whenever
I am asked - they think I am an expert :-) - I tell them not to expect any
bug fixes as all those bugs were probably fixed in 5.8.x or 5.10.x.

One of them showed me a 50 page long migration document.
As I can see it is mostly perl58delta with embedded comments on what
might be relevant to them.

I thought it might be nice to have a document with some pointers on how to take
on such a migration project but then it boils down to

- write (unit/integration/whatever) test to your code/application
- use Devel::Cover to make sure you have a high coverage of your code
- start running the same tests on the newer version of perl and start fixing the
  issues that come up.

Of course it is not that simple as most likely the old code is a huge mess
of spagetti so writing tests is very difficult and fixing lots of copy-pasted
code is very boring.

But if a company decides against the migration trying to save money can they
really expect from p5p to fix bugs in 5.6.x free of charge?

BTW how can I fetch the statistics of number of bugs reported against
various versions of perl throughout time? Are there still many issues reported
against old versions of perl?

Gabor