RE: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
April 28, 2008 10:52
RE: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x
Message ID:
0fe401c8a958$a03d7ea0$e0b87be0$@com
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Tels wrote:
> On Monday 28 April 2008 18:20:30 Jan Dubois wrote:
>> I don't have updated numbers, but for the period of January-May 2007
>> there have been an average of 1000 Perl 5.6 and 4500 Perl 5.8
>> downloads per day of the Windows binaries from the ActiveState
>> download servers. The relative percentage was the same for Linux and
>> Solaris, but with lower absolute numbers.
>>
>> I only got those numbers because the Komodo group was doing some
>> download stat analysis, so it isn't trivial for me to get more up-to-
>> date numbers (and they may not be representative for people trying to
>> compile Perl themselves anyways).
>
> Are these real people downloading stuff, or just bots? (There are a
> lot of bots out there that download stuff and check for copyright
> violatins and other doubtful things). I guess this is hard to check
> now, tho.

It is my understanding that these numbers represent downloads from unique
IP addresses per day. This was done primarily to disregard download
"accelerators" that open multiple parallel connections and just request
a chunk of the file (I have no idea if these applications exists to
overcome high latency, but they seem to be used mostly from connections
originating from Asia). Their presence was significantly distorting
the statistics).

So unless these bots use lots of different IP addresses they should only
be counted once. This is also compensated somewhat by not counting
multiple downloads from the same institution on the same day multiple
time (for example someone downloading and installing ActivePerl on 20
machines within the same company on the same day).

Finally, the download numbers for e.g. the AIX builds were comparatively
really small (I can't remember the number, but maybe just 1% of the
Windows downloads). I would have expected any bots from downloading all
directories indiscriminately, which again points to bots being just a
small percentage of the overall numbers.

Cheers,
-Jan