Re: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x

From:
Tels
Date:
April 28, 2008 10:22
Re: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x
Message ID:
200804281916.03160@bloodgate.com
On Monday 28 April 2008 18:20:30 Jan Dubois wrote:

> >> 5.6. came out over 8 years ago.
> >>
> >> a: What's our policy on attempting to support it?
> >> b: What's the diplomatic answer to the bug report as a result of
> >>    that?
> >
> > Would any list member who is still using Perl 5.6 in production
> > please speak up?
>
> I don't have updated numbers, but for the period of January-May 2007
> there have been an average of 1000 Perl 5.6 and 4500 Perl 5.8
> downloads per day of the Windows binaries from the ActiveState
> download servers. The relative percentage was the same for Linux and
> Solaris, but with lower absolute numbers.
>
> I only got those numbers because the Komodo group was doing some
> download stat analysis, so it isn't trivial for me to get more up-to-
> date numbers (and they may not be representative for people trying
> to compile Perl themselves anyways).

Are these real people downloading stuff, or just bots? (There are a lot
of bots out there that download stuff and check for copyright violatins
and other doubtful things). I guess this is hard to check now, tho.

All the best,

Tels

--
 Signed on Mon Apr 28 18:59:50 2008 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
 telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
 telephone."

  -- Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of the C++ programming language