Re: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
April 28, 2008 09:36
Re: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x
Message ID:
20080428163557.GK84051@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:20:30AM -0700, Jan Dubois wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> > Would any list member who is still using Perl 5.6 in production please
> > speak up?
>
> I don't have updated numbers, but for the period of January-May 2007
> there have been an average of 1000 Perl 5.6 and 4500 Perl 5.8 downloads
> per day of the Windows binaries from the ActiveState download servers.
> The relative percentage was the same for Linux and Solaris, but with
> lower absolute numbers.
>
> I only got those numbers because the Komodo group was doing some
> download stat analysis, so it isn't trivial for me to get more up-to-
> date numbers (and they may not be representative for people trying
> to compile Perl themselves anyways).

The ratio is useful, albeit for a slightly different period (pre 5.10.0,
rather than several months afterwards). I'm surprised how high 5.6 is.
I wonder (but understand that you're unlikely to be able to get them) what
the 5.10/5.8/5.6 ratios are now.

I wonder how (and where) we could get the download ratio for source.
Redirects from perl.org? And whether it's even usefully comparable - it might
be that if people download binaries they do it from ActiveState, but if they
want to build from source, they go direct to CPAN.

Nicholas Clark