RE: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
April 28, 2008 09:21
RE: A non-scientific survey Re: 5.6.x
Message ID:
0f7001c8a94b$c7bca710$5735f530$@com
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Jesse Vincent wrote:
>>> Site configuration information for perl v5.6.2:
>>
>> 5.6. came out over 8 years ago.
>>
>> a: What's our policy on attempting to support it?
>> b: What's the diplomatic answer to the bug report as a result of
>>    that?
>
> Would any list member who is still using Perl 5.6 in production please
> speak up?

I don't have updated numbers, but for the period of January-May 2007
there have been an average of 1000 Perl 5.6 and 4500 Perl 5.8 downloads
per day of the Windows binaries from the ActiveState download servers.
The relative percentage was the same for Linux and Solaris, but with
lower absolute numbers.

I only got those numbers because the Komodo group was doing some
download stat analysis, so it isn't trivial for me to get more up-to-
date numbers (and they may not be representative for people trying
to compile Perl themselves anyways).

Cheers,
-Jan