Re: Linking with DynaLoader and ExtUtils::Embed::ldopts since 5.10

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
April 26, 2008 14:29
Re: Linking with DynaLoader and ExtUtils::Embed::ldopts since 5.10
Message ID:
b77c1dce0804261429v16730202hb94d42ad460fa2dc@mail.gmail.com
2008/4/26 Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at>:
> How do you folks link against DynaLoader since 5.10?
>
>  The DynaLoader makefile was changed not to emit a
>  lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader$(LIB_EXT)
>  anymore, instead just copy to a DynaLoader$(OBJ_EXT), which is linked
>  against perl,
>  but not installed to <archlib>/CORE and not to
>  lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader$(OBJ_EXT) neither.
>
>  So ExtUtils::Embed::ldopts cannot find DynaLoader.a anymore (and does
>  not look for the .o file neither)
>  and so all attempts to link standalone files do fail.
>
>  There's also no testcase for ExtUtils::Embed::ldopts usage,
>  I just got the failures in B::C. Other embedders will fail also.
>
>  If I overlooked something (with my cygwin specialities) I stand
>  corrected, otherwise I'll happily provide a patch to fix
>  the wrong static section in ext/DynaLoader/Makefile.PL to generate the
>  archive again.

This is caused by this change, maybe this can help ?

Change 27549 by gisle@gisle-ask on 2006/03/20 10:21:50

        Move DynaLoader.o into libperl.so.

        This avoids the need to statically link DynaLoader into the stub perl
        executable and make libperl.so provide all the code needed to get a
        functional embedded perl interpreter up running.  As a side effect
        this also moves DynaLoader into libperl.a for non-useshrplib builds.

        Fixes [perl #32539]

Affected files ...

... //depot/perl/Makefile.SH#357 edit
... //depot/perl/ext/DynaLoader/Makefile.PL#14 edit
... //depot/perl/ext/util/make_ext#15 edit
... //depot/perl/writemain.SH#15 edit