[patch]perl5db.pl - What I needed to get the forked debugger to workon Linux/Cygwin

From:
John E. Malmberg
Date:
April 24, 2008 19:37
Subject:
[patch]perl5db.pl - What I needed to get the forked debugger to workon Linux/Cygwin
Message ID:
481143C3.3080500@qsl.net
Hello all,

I just tried to use the forked debugger under LINUX, and all it would do
is bring up the xterm, but kept the debugger I/O in the main session.

I had to put the attached patches on to get it to work.  With Perl 5.10,
  I added some code to get the forked debugger to work on VMS, and it
seems to be needed for LINUX.

One note, on Cygwin, if you close the forked debugger window, the perl
session hangs.

I would appreciate if someone could review these patches.

TODO:

1. It is desirable to use the forked debugger even when subprocesses are
not in use.  It is especially useful for debugging the Perl test
scripts.  So there should be a way of requesting a forked debugger at
the command line.

Currently I use the hack of export PERLDB_PIDS=XXX to force a forked
debugger.

2. The value of $TERM should have no bearing on if the forked debugger
should be used.  All that is required for the forked debugger to work is
that an xterm or equivalent can be launched.  Requiring $TERM is just
encouraging incorrect settings in $TERM.

3. There is no reason that other x11 terminals could not be used instead
of xterm, so there should be a way of specifying which one should be used.

Thanks,
-John
wb8tyw@qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only