Re: [perl #53110] Bitops on strings when UTF8 flag is set

From:
andreas.koenig.7os6VVqR
Date:
April 22, 2008 20:52
Re: [perl #53110] Bitops on strings when UTF8 flag is set
Message ID:
87fxtdb54g.fsf@k75.linux.bogus

  > Andreas J. Koenig writes:
 >> The following example shows that the internal repreesentation can leak
 >> into the bit operations. The program does the same thing twice, namely
 >>
 >> $iv ^ $asciistring
 >>
 >> but the second time around the $asciistring has the UTF8 flag set.

  > There doesn't appear to a bug here to me.

  > The two results compare as equal,

Sorry, I didn't spot that.

  > and it's reasonable for perl to
  > give a UTF8 result when an operand has UTF8 set.

Yes.

  > Can you expand on why you think this is a bug?

I have no argument left that this might be wrong. Thanks for looking
into it.

--
andreas