Re: [perl #53110] Bitops on strings when UTF8 flag is set

From:
Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
Date:
April 22, 2008 17:13
Re: [perl #53110] Bitops on strings when UTF8 flag is set
Message ID:
loom.20080423T000832-121@post.gmane.org
Andreas J. Koenig writes:
> The following example shows that the internal repreesentation can leak
> into the bit operations. The program does the same thing twice, namely
>
>     $iv ^ $asciistring
>
> but the second time around the $asciistring has the UTF8 flag set.

There doesn't appear to a bug here to me.

The two results compare as equal, and it's reasonable for perl to
give a UTF8 result when an operand has UTF8 set.

Can you expand on why you think this is a bug?