develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2008

Append "64" suffix in some of the perl's installed files (under/usr/bin)

From:
Sérgio Durigan Júnior
Date:
March 25, 2008 12:48
Subject:
Append "64" suffix in some of the perl's installed files (under/usr/bin)
Message ID:
1206474499.19461.29.camel@miki.br.ibm.com
Hi,

I'll try to be exact in what I want here. I'm
compiling/installing/testing Perl on a biarch system (kernel PPC64,
userland 32-bit). I already have a 32-bit Perl up and running on this
system, but now I have to test 64-bit Perl (without uninstalling 32-bit
Perl).

What happens is that I'm trying to figure out how to install both 32-
and 64-bit Perl in the system. I have already prepared a patch which
fixes the way library files are installed (it appends a "64" suffix in
every "lib" directory if you're using the "-Duse64bitall" modifier), and
now I'm wondering how to rename some files that are placed in /usr/bin
by "make install". The question is that if I run "make install", it
overwrites every 32-bit Perl file by its correspondent 64-bit Perl file.
So now you say: you can rename the Perl's executable file (using the
PELRNAME modifier in "make install"). Well, that's right, but the thing
is that also a lot of Perl scripts (e.g., a2p, corelist, perldoc,
perlbug, etc.) are generated and installed in /usr/bin too, and I
(still) can't rename them.

My first question is probably simple: do I really need to rename
everything before installing them? I mean, the Perl scripts will run
exactly the same way when using 32- or 64-bit Perl, what makes me think
that I only need to rename the Perl's executable file, right?

My second question is: what do you guys think about changing a little
bit the naming convention here? Why don't we call the executables
"perl32" and "perl64" (for 32- and 64-bit Perl, respectively), and
create a link pointing to one or another according to our needs?

Regards,

--
Sérgio Durigan Júnior
Software Engineer