develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2008

Re: Interesting self contained task

From:
Joshua ben Jore
Date:
March 25, 2008 00:38
Re: Interesting self contained task
Message ID:
dc5c751d0803250038y46f96498t5c3ce2031df5a8ba@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 6:59 AM, Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> wrote:
> Joshua ben Jore schrieb:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 7:07 AM, Elliot Shank <perl@galumph.com> wrote:
>  >> renee.baecker@smart-websolutions.de wrote:
>  >>  > Am 29.02.2008 um 11:10 Uhr haben Sie geschrieben:
>  >>  >> It's really starting to feel like whatever "we" do to attempt to
>  >>  >> get new volunteers in to have fun hacking on Perl, it just isn't
>  >>  >> going to work.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Maybe this could be changed if people start to know more about the
>  >>  > perl internals. I spoke to MHX about a hackathon with the theme "Perl
>  >>  > 5 ToDo" (according to the perldoc perltodo) where two or three  Perl
>  >>  > 5 Porter (with deep knowledge) can give an introduction into the Perl
>  >>  >  internals and the attendees can learn more about everything works
>  >>  > together.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > The Perl internals seems to be quite complex, so an introduction
>  >>  > could help.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > To organize such a hackathon is on my todo for next year (if no one
>  >>  > else is organizing a hackathon this year).
>  >>
>  >>  It would be great if someone would do a presentation at YAPC::NA this year.
>  >
>  > Late last year I wrote a 50 minute presentation on Perl 5 guts
>  > focusing on the optree for SPUG, the Seattle Perl User's Group. I've
>  > already submitted it to OSCON. In general, I think it's knowledge that
>  > I'd like more perl hackers to have. Feel free to steal from it if you
>  > wish. I think that since I've submitted it to OSCON that it's a no-no
>  > to also submit it to YAPC. If not, I could do perform this on a stage
>  > or let someone else do it.
>  >
>  > # KPresenter rendered to HTML. I intend to rerender it in S5.
>  > http://diotalevi.isa-geek.net/~josh/Presentations/Perl%205%20VM/
>
>  I prefer official and public material over talks.
>
>  I've added a brief outline to the wiki
>    http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl5/index.cgi?optree_guts
>  but a perloptreeguts.pod would be preferred.

Yes well... I have the time and interest to talk to SPUG or other
audiences but I have less interest in writing in depth documentation.
I'm willing to chat with anyone on IRC though. You should probably
never try to contact me via email. I check that only in odd months.

Josh