develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2008

Bug tracking system

From:
John Gardiner Myers
Date:
March 21, 2008 10:14
Subject:
Bug tracking system
Message ID:
47E3ECE4.90008@proofpoint.com
I would like to thank you all for moving to a more readily available
version control system.  I would like to also suggest you strongly
consider changing your bug tracking system.  Your current one has
numerous problems:

1) The default when commenting on a bug is to not send email to the
reporter.  Because of this, I was not aware that, for example, bug 43294
had gotten a comment, so did not reply for months.

2) The system does not make the presence of attachments terribly obvious
in mailed notifications.  For this reason, the resolution of bug 39634
was delayed.

3) For some reason, the system does not appear to be forwarding comments
on bugs 51936 and 51918 to the mailing list archive.

I would suggest you look at Bugzilla.  It has been used successfully by
a large number of projects.