develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2008

[perl #51964] Typo on regular expression at perlopentut manual page.

From:
pancho @ pancho . name
Date:
March 21, 2008 05:56
Subject:
[perl #51964] Typo on regular expression at perlopentut manual page.
Message ID:
rt-3.6.HEAD-25460-1206095463-311.51964-75-0@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  pancho@pancho.name 
# Please include the string:  [perl #51964]
# in the subject line of all future correspondence about this issue. 
# <URL: http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=51964 >



This is a bug report for perl from pancho@pancho.name,
generated with the help of perlbug 1.35 running under perl v5.8.8.


-----------------------------------------------------------------
[Please enter your report here]

Hi!

I was reading the perlopentut manual page and I think I found a bug in a regular expression:

It says:

<quote>
One of the more interesting applications is to change files of a certain name
into pipes.  For example, to autoprocess gzipped or compressed files by
decompressing them with gzip:
		
 @ARGV = map { /^\.(gz|Z)$/ ? "gzip -dc $_ |" : $_  } @ARGV;

</quote>

and I think that it should say:

 @ARGV = map { /\.(gz|Z)$/ ? "gzip -dc $_ |" : $_  } @ARGV;

The difference is the cartet (^) anchor at the beginning of the regular expression.
With it, I understand that only filenames '.gz' and '.Z' will be filtered
through gzip.

I think that the intent of the snippet is to filter any file which _ends_ in
either .gz or .Z, thus I removed the caret.

I checked the online edition (perldoc.perl.org) and it is not fixed there, either.


My sincere thanks.


Friendly,

pancho.

[Please do not change anything below this line]
-----------------------------------------------------------------
---
Flags:
    category=docs
    severity=low
---
Site configuration information for perl v5.8.8:

Configured by Debian Project at Mon Nov 12 17:32:13 UTC 2007.

Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 8) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=linux, osvers=2.6.8-powerpc-smp, archname=powerpc-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    uname='linux voltaire 2.6.8-powerpc-smp #1 smp thu nov 24 00:17:24 utc 2005 ppc gnulinux '
    config_args='-Dusethreads -Duselargefiles -Dccflags=-DDEBIAN -Dcccdlflags=-fPIC -Darchname=powerpc-linux-gnu -Dprefix=/usr -Dprivlib=/usr/share/perl/5.8 -Darchlib=/usr/lib/perl/5.8 -Dvendorprefix=/usr -Dvendorlib=/usr/share/perl5 -Dvendorarch=/usr/lib/perl5 -Dsiteprefix=/usr/local -Dsitelib=/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 -Dsitearch=/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 -Dman1dir=/usr/share/man/man1 -Dman3dir=/usr/share/man/man3 -Dsiteman1dir=/usr/local/man/man1 -Dsiteman3dir=/usr/local/man/man3 -Dman1ext=1 -Dman3ext=3perl -Dpager=/usr/bin/sensible-pager -Uafs -Ud_csh -Ud_ualarm -Uusesfio -Uusenm -Duseshrplib -Dlibperl=libperl.so.5.8.8 -Dd_dosuid -des'
    hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define
    usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define usemultiplicity=define
    useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
    use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
    usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='cc', ccflags ='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
    optimize='-O2',
    cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include'
    ccversion='', gccversion='4.2.3 20071014 (prerelease) (Debian 4.2.2-3)', gccosandvers=''
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=4321
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
    ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
    alignbytes=8, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='cc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib'
    libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
    libs=-lgdbm -lgdbm_compat -ldb -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt
    perllibs=-ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt
    libc=/lib/libc-2.6.1.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so.5.8.8
    gnulibc_version='2.6.1'
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-Wl,-E'
    cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'

Locally applied patches:
    

---
@INC for perl v5.8.8:
    /etc/perl
    /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8
    /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8
    /usr/lib/perl5
    /usr/share/perl5
    /usr/lib/perl/5.8
    /usr/share/perl/5.8
    /usr/local/lib/site_perl
    .

---
Environment for perl v5.8.8:
    HOME=/home/pancho
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE (unset)
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH (unset)
    LOGDIR (unset)
    PATH=/home/pancho/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games
    PERL_BADLANG (unset)
    SHELL=/bin/bash




nntp.perl.org: Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at ask@perl.org | Group listing | About