develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2008

Re: Re: Interesting self contained task

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
March 17, 2008 15:50
Re: Re: Interesting self contained task
Message ID:
20080317225037.GE79799@plum.flirble.org
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:34:19AM +0100, renee.baecker@smart-websolutions.de wrote:
> Am 29.02.2008 um 11:10 Uhr haben Sie geschrieben:
> >
> > It's really starting to feel like whatever "we" do to attempt to get
> new
> > volunteers in to have fun hacking on Perl, it just isn't going to
> work.
>
> Maybe this could be changed if people start to know more about the perl
> internals. I spoke to MHX about a hackathon with the theme "Perl 5
> ToDo" (according to the perldoc perltodo) where two or three  Perl 5
> Porter (with deep knowledge) can give an introduction into the Perl
> internals and the attendees can learn more about everything works
> together.

Well, de facto I offered one-to-one remote learning course in the Perl
internals (the interesting self contained task) to anyone on this list who
is interested. There are over 400 people subscribed to this list (that's
larger than the attendance at any YAPC) and quite probably subscribers here
are more likely to be interested in the Perl core than the average YAPC
attendee.

Yet no-one wants to take it up.

Actions speak louder than works.

So given the current levels of enthusiasm for learning about the internals,
I'm not convinced that spending time preparing talks for such an
introduction is time well spent. Preparation takes many times the length of
time of the presentation itself (talk is cheap, but talks are not), and if
the result is zero payback - no-one starts contributing, it would be better
to spend that time writing code.

People don't seem to be interested in hacking on the core.

Nicholas Clark