develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from March 2008

Re: summer of code mentor applications starting (and ending) next week

From:
Eric Wilhelm
Date:
March 1, 2008 01:16
Re: summer of code mentor applications starting (and ending) next week
Message ID:
200803010115.52743.ewilhelm@cpan.org
# from Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
# on Friday 29 February 2008 20:51:

>I suppose Google requires a list of official mentors if they're going
>to hand out the money but as for the task of actually mentoring (i.e.
>helping to familiarize successful applicants with the codebase)

"mentoring" also means keeping track of the student's progress and
filling out evaluations for google halfway through and at the end.
They want you to be the personal "goto" for the student, but the point
of assigning one mentor seems to be mostly about making sure the
student understands how to work with the community and providing a
contact-point for accountability.

You do get a t-shirt.  Google writes a check to the organization for
$500 per each student mentored -- the organization can choose to write
checks to the mentors, but most organizations tend to put it in "the
pool" because a lot of the mentorship is spread around as you suggest:

>is
>there any reason such questions couldn't go trough p5p or a similar
>forum such as the #p5p IRC channel? I for one (and probably others)
>would be willing to answer the odd question about areas the codebase
>I'm familiar with if they were being asked in such a forum.

The student should participate on irc and the mailing list.  If they
don't, the mentor needs to nag them for updates.

But yes, the whole community will typically be providing support for
their efforts.  But still, google wants to be able to point to one
mentor and know "which wing the student is under."

So, the biggest qualifications for being a mentor are that: 1) you have
the time to do the paperwork for one or two students and  2) you know
how to steer them to the right resources when they need help.

--Eric
--
You can't whack a chisel without a big wooden mallet.
    http://scratchcomputing.com