Re: summer of code mentor applications starting (and ending) next week

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 29, 2008 06:58
Re: summer of code mentor applications starting (and ending) next week
Message ID:
20080229145810.GC87113@plum.flirble.org
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 03:46:10PM +0100, Reini Urban wrote:

> But first some p5p admin should apply to create projects and choose mentors.

There is no such thing as a p5p admin*.

I personally note:

http://code.google.com/soc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_mentor_time

  11. How much time is required to participate as a mentor in Google Summer
      of Code?

      While the answer to this question will vary widely depending on the
      number of students a mentor works with, the difficulty of the proposals
      and the skill level of the students, most mentors have let us know that
      they underestimated the amount of time they would need to invest in
      GSoC. Five hours per student per week is a reasonable estimate.

I, for one, know that I don't even have 5 hours per week that I could devote
to this, so I couldn't do the task justice, so I couldn't volunteer.

Nicholas Clark

* Well, there are Robert, David and Ask (at least) who keep the perl.org
  mailing lists running, but I don't think that you meant them. Or √Čric
  Cholet, who does something near to 100% of the messages from new addresses.
  Thanks guys.